Collaborating with an incredible group of young people seeking sanctuary and living in Sheffield, UK, this film explores the world they want for their futures and how creativity can bring people together and build communities.
The film focuses on the process underpinning the formation of the Young People Together group in 2022, and their journey whilst working towards and delivering their first public performance. It highlights the power of young people as artists sharing their experiences of building their lives and how creative practice can support more inclusive spaces for young people and young migrants working together for change.
This work was initiated through partnerships supported by the MIMY project at the University of Sheffield.
Find out more about the Young People Together group’s September performance ‘We Need Change’ which took place at the University of Sheffield’s Festival of the Mind here:
Find out more about the MIMY research project here:
- Stand & Be Counted Theatre:
- Rosie MacPherson, Artistic Director
- Firas Chihi, Community Director
- Zoe Katsilerou, Associate Artist
- Diyo Bopengo Jr, Associate Artist
- Smart Banda, Digital Director
- Dr Thea Shahrokh, Department of Sociological Studies
- Dr Hannah Lewis, Department of Sociological Studies
- Professor Majella Kilkey, Department of Sociological Studies
- Ryan Powell, Department of Urban Studies and Planning
- Festival of the Mind and ESRC Impact Acceleration Grant, University of Sheffield
- MIMY project, the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme under grant agreement No 870700